This is unrelated to my earlier quote, but it is by Jim Sterling as he tackles The Definition of Art Games in a way that I think everyone should be able to understand and appreciate.
I’ve rewritten this a couple of times, but really, it all comes down to the idea that “art games” is not some alternate medium but another aspect or facet of it. A game like Okami or Shadow of the Colossus is no less deserving of the term than Portal or Limbo. People need to stop assuming that “art game” only applies to Indie works and also realize that such games can, in fact, exist in established genres.
- caramelzappa said:I agree with Holmes on this one. Art Game is a term that is both functionally useless and actively bad for the industry.
- caramelzappa likes this
- discovergames likes this
- fateandfire reblogged this from rumirumirumirumi
- bdreid-writing likes this
- bestsharkweekever likes this
- rumirumirumirumi reblogged this from hiroshimishima
- discovergames said:I keep waiting for you to go somewhere with all this. You keep reblogging Sterling quotes and hinting at your feelings about Dear Esther and art games, but you never seem to actually get to anything of substance. What are you trying to say?
- establishingdoug likes this
- hiroshimishima posted this