You know, I’m getting really sick of the “Con: Game is too easy” comments that I see when people review a game.
The fact that it is actually beatable does NOT constitute a negative mark! No, I don’t care who you are or how flimsy your justification is, there is no call for giving a game a lower score because it was “too easy”.
Likewise, I will never agree that a game being “brutally hard” is ever a positive factor. How in the hell can the notion that a game might be so hard you’ll never finish it possibly be considering a “good thing”?!
Before anyone tries to feed me the “well, maybe they like hard games” bit, you have to stop and remember that difficulty is entirely subjective. What might be considered “really easy” may in fact be just right for another player. Likewise a “very hard” game is probably not that difficult other people.
This is most visible when looking at a place like GameFAQs or sites where different kinds of gamers hang out at. Many times I will see someone say a game is too hard and get laughed at by people for whom it wasn’t - they never once thought that maybe this person was not on the same skill level as them.
By all means, mention whether you think the game is hard or easy in your review, but this practice of batting down easier titles and promoting hard ones must stop. Not only does it give publishers/developers the wrong message, it hurts us gamers as a result.
I know full well that not everyone enjoys games that are on the easy side, but others must learn to accept that not everyone plays their games on the highest difficulty by default.
If anyone’s curious, no it wasn’t Dark Souls that brought up this post, but I did think of it by the time I’d reached this part. I actually wrote this up after seeing someone downscore Wild Arms 5 for being “way too easy”. Wild Arms 5 was, insofar as I know, the last in the series and must not have done very well considering there’s been no word about it in years.
Heck, I only learned about Wild Arms 4 a few years ago by sheer coincidence, when I stumbled upon it at a GameStop in excellent, if used, condition.
- apocalizz likes this
- caramelzappa likes this
- helpless-without-glasses reblogged this from caramelzappa and added:
- crimsoncamellianeko likes this
- totallytogekiss likes this
- hiroshimishima reblogged this from caramelzappa and added:
- caramelzappa reblogged this from hiroshimishima and added:
- cricks likes this
- pony-farts reblogged this from caramelzappa and added:
- inoshi likes this
- artisjunky likes this
- totallytogekiss reblogged this from discovergames and added:
- jablesinc likes this
- wattomatic likes this
- portal-maneuver-gear reblogged this from discovergames
- discovergames reblogged this from hiroshimishima and added:
- rokkan likes this
- lessie2d reblogged this from caramelzappa and added:
- earlgreymartini reblogged this from discovergames and added:
- empire-antz likes this
- hiroshimishima likes this
- guilelessmonk likes this
- alittlegamesentiment reblogged this from hiroshimishima and added:
- discovergames likes this